Click On The Amazon Banner Below Before You Order Anything From Amazon.
Doing this helps to cover our forum server expenses. This does not effect what you order from Amazon at all. To sum things up, Amazon gives us up to 6% in commission. If you have and ad blocker, click this message to be linked to Amazon. It works the same way. ~Thank you for your support of Upstate4x4.com

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
DOM Tie Rod
10-07-2013, 02:35 PM
DOM Tie Rod
Lunchtime project today, not real exiting but here it is anyway. My apologies for the fuzzy pics, all I had is my old cell phone.

Started with 1.5" 0.25" wall DOM tubing. Whatever you do and I cant stress this enough - DO NOT USE PIPE!!!

[Image: 013_zps7c89ef18.jpg]

Tie rod end, jam nut, and weld in hex bung. One side is right hand thread and the other is left hand to allow for east toe adjustment with an open end wrench. I centered the bung on the tie rod end, this will allow for one inch of adjustment in or out while still maintaining full thread contact.

[Image: 007_zpse843c243.jpg]

Measure twice cut once!

[Image: 006_zps6fd5d1ac.jpg]

I beveled each end of the tube to around 40 degrees, and set the bungs 1/8" from the hex to allow full penetration. Did this with a mig welder so its kind of ugly, but still functional. Keep the heat low to avoid melting the threads. After the first pass.

[Image: 008_zps83900ed2.jpg]

Made 2 more passes, 3 total, grinding between each pass to remove any contaminates.

[Image: 010_zpsacd4d767.jpg]

Finished

[Image: 011_zps09ea05c6.jpg]

Too Many Projects . . .
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-07-2013, 04:34 PM
RE: DOM Tie Rod
Greet job and thanks for posting this. Are you building this for my Pathy?

Alvarez Metal Works
Click here to visit me on Youtube
Click here to visit me on Facebook
[Image: forum-sig.png]
Check out Roark Supply @ www.roarksupply.com
For a 10% discount on your entire order use Coupon Code: Metal
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-07-2013, 05:19 PM
nice work!
10-07-2013, 05:30 PM
(10-07-2013 04:34 PM)AlvarezMetalWorks Wrote:  Greet job and thanks for posting this. Are you building this for my Pathy?

Lol, no for my Suburban

(10-07-2013 05:19 PM)yellowx16 Wrote:  nice work!

Thanks

Too Many Projects . . .
10-07-2013, 05:35 PM (This post was last modified: 10-07-2013 05:35 PM by yellowx16.)
are you doing a custom sas, or using a kit? my dad just finished an sas on his 94 chevy 1500 with dana 60 front and 14 bolt rear using the offroad direct kit. if you have any questions I'm sure he would be willing to help out.
10-07-2013, 06:07 PM
(10-07-2013 05:35 PM)yellowx16 Wrote:  are you doing a custom sas, or using a kit? my dad just finished an sas on his 94 chevy 1500 with dana 60 front and 14 bolt rear using the offroad direct kit. if you have any questions I'm sure he would be willing to help out.

I'm cheating on this one and using the hanger kit from Offroad Design, http://offroaddesign.com/catalog/88-98So...ersion.htm mostly out of time constraints. I use the truck fairly often and don't want it torn apart any longer than it needs to be. Everything else will be custom built. Will start a build thread once the torches come out.

The tie rod ends, nuts, bungs and diff cover came from RuffStuff
http://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/catalog/

Both companies offer phenomenal products and great customer service.

Too Many Projects . . .
10-07-2013, 07:08 PM
Going leaves in the front?
10-07-2013, 07:32 PM
Yup. 2.5" supelift springs, with 37s

Too Many Projects . . .
10-07-2013, 07:44 PM
(10-07-2013 06:07 PM)Smithy Wrote:  
(10-07-2013 05:35 PM)yellowx16 Wrote:  are you doing a custom sas, or using a kit? my dad just finished an sas on his 94 chevy 1500 with dana 60 front and 14 bolt rear using the offroad direct kit. if you have any questions I'm sure he would be willing to help out.

I'm cheating on this one and using the hanger kit from Offroad Design, http://offroaddesign.com/catalog/88-98So...ersion.htm mostly out of time constraints. I use the truck fairly often and don't want it torn apart any longer than it needs to be. Everything else will be custom built. Will start a build thread once the torches come out.

The tie rod ends, nuts, bungs and diff cover came from RuffStuff
http://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/catalog/

Both companies offer phenomenal products and great customer service.

Nice, my dad almost went with off road design when he did his, his would have been the prototype kit as they hadn't began making it when he did his. Good luck with it!
10-08-2013, 02:52 PM
Never been a huge fan of IFS - especially on something as heavy as a Suburban. Doesn't seem to age well.

The kit is bolt on? That's really cool!

I have always wanted to build a leaf sprung Cherokee