Click On The Amazon Banner Below Before You Order Anything From Amazon.
Doing this helps to cover our forum server expenses. This does not effect what you order from Amazon at all. To sum things up, Amazon gives us up to 6% in commission. If you have and ad blocker, click this message to be linked to Amazon. It works the same way. ~Thank you for your support of Upstate4x4.com

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
NY State Inspections
11-13-2013, 10:19 AM
NY State Inspections
Posting this to help anyone with questions as to what is legal or not as far as a state inspection is concerned. Hopefully this will keep some of you from being ripped off. The inspector also has to be able to prove in a court of law why any vehicle passes or fails.

DOT and municipal regulations are a whole other topic.

Here are the regulations as outlined by NYSDMV
http://www.dmv.ny.gov/forms/cr79.pdf

Too Many Projects . . .
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-13-2013, 12:09 PM
RE: NY State Inspections
Great info, Thank you.

Alvarez Metal Works
Click here to visit me on Youtube
Click here to visit me on Facebook
[Image: forum-sig.png]
Check out Roark Supply @ www.roarksupply.com
For a 10% discount on your entire order use Coupon Code: Metal
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-13-2013, 01:42 PM
good link, i have a bunch of things I need to address to pass my inspection it looks like...
11-14-2013, 06:49 PM
NYS inspection should never be an issue, very easy to pass (unless there's a check engine for '96 and newer). This is list is better to have as a guide just incase the place wants to screw you over and say something that wont pass when legally it will.

Good things about Upstate NY, no restrictions on fenders or mud flaps! I don't think there's a bumper height either or its just not enforced much, and Rust is legal lol...

I know PA's a real bitch, even when crossing over the line from NY. Legally, a state cannot penalize you for being out of state if their laws go against your original states legal regulations. BUT, they CAN harass you.
11-14-2013, 08:00 PM
(11-14-2013 06:49 PM)Dmiller Wrote:  NYS inspection should never be an issue, very easy to pass (unless there's a check engine for '96 and newer). This is list is better to have as a guide just incase the place wants to screw you over and say something that wont pass when legally it will.

My point exactly.

I should clarify this a bit. State inspections came up at the last two meet & greets, some questions, some complaints. Thought I would post the "rules", so everyone would know what passes and what does not.

And even though a vehicle passes state inspection does not mean you cant be stopped for a DOT, or other municipal violation. Things like loud exhaust, window tint etc. . ., may pass inspection but you can still be ticketed.

Too Many Projects . . .
11-15-2013, 03:03 PM
Transmission fluid on steering stabilizer is not grounds for failing inspection. Guess I was right!

Mike
2000 XJ Cherokee - 3.5'' lift / 32'' Tirerecapper Pizza Cutters / Front Locker
11-15-2013, 05:10 PM
Correct me if I'm not reading it right, but under where it lists vehicles exempt from OBD-II Emission inspection, it says vehicles 26 or more model years old? That would mean anything newer than 1987 has to pass emissions. Pretty sure it's pre-96? How is my 93 Dakota suppose to go through emissions? It's OBD-I.
11-15-2013, 06:55 PM
96 is where they hook it to the computer to make sure everything is working properly. Before that year they just do a visual inspection for the emission equipment. They do not smog test here in Syracuse. Witch is typical for small towns and small cities that don't have pollution problems from vehicles. However in cities that require smog testing, cars 87 and older don't have to pass a smog test.

This is how I understand it. They do still have to pass a safety inspection though.

Alvarez Metal Works
11-15-2013, 07:29 PM
I know pre-96 doesn't get plugged in, I'm just curious as to why they worded it the way they did. Like they are assuming everything newer than 87 is equipped with smog/emission equipment. It just goes to show it's all in how you interpret it.

Also here's a tip if you are in a pinch for inspection and have a way to check inspection monitors. 96 to 2000 will pass with two monitors not complete and 2001 and newer will pass with one not complete.
11-15-2013, 07:37 PM
They assume cars older than that aren't on the road anymore lol. In AZ the cut off date is 67 and newer got smog tested. The date never changes. That's one good thing about NY. If you keep your cars in good shape you get to look forward to no having to smog them one day. Or if you bring something old into this state you don't have to worry about smog on cars that were most likely smog tested in other states.

Alvarez Metal Works