Click On The Amazon Banner Below Before You Order Anything From Amazon.
Doing this helps to cover our forum server expenses. This does not effect what you order from Amazon at all. To sum things up, Amazon gives us up to 6% in commission. If you have and ad blocker, click this message to be linked to Amazon. It works the same way. ~Thank you for your support of Upstate4x4.com

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 1 Average
Snow Wheeling Thread
11-16-2013, 09:19 AM
Snow Wheeling Thread
Well, its almost that time, and I figured starting a corresponding thread might be the right thing to do.

Its winter time!!!!!

Some of you hate it, some of you love it. raise of hands?

The bad:

Heating bills
Snow shoveling
Late to work
Shorter days
Salt salt salt
Dry skin and common colds
Freezing your butt off

The good:

Freak'n snow!
Quiet nights
Big skys
New environment
Cozy surroundings
Watching the vehicle mayhem around you
Getting snowed in with your love one
So much freak'n fun!

Okay, maybe some of us haven't grown up yet, but growing old and growing old of snow are two different things in my dictionary. And I know there are still a few that watch the big snow flakes fall from the morning sky and cannot help but put a big smile on our faces.

More importantly though, this is the start of wheeling and camping season for some of us. I was hoping this thread could be focused on helping others that do not or have not winter wheeled; How to be prepared (vehicle and self), Do's and Dont's, and the dangers and risks involved. Snow wheeling will always surprise you and will make common trails much more difficult, I hope to see a lot more people participating this year in the adventures.

What I would like to start is a very basic list of things to have in your vehicle for winter wheeling. I say 'basic' because I don't want a list with a 1000 different things that no one is ever going to buy.. plus keeping it light and small makes it easier to stay organized and stay prepared.

-First aid Kit
-Layers of clothing (extra clothing)
-Food (canned or protein bars)
-Lights, batteries, matches
-Enough water for a few days
-Thick blanket or cold weather sleeping bag
-Chargeable comminations' (cell phone or walkies)

Theres a few I keep with me... add or take away from the list, looking to see peoples suggestions and additions to the list!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-16-2013, 10:55 AM
RE: Snow Wheeling Thread
i like this thread...this list is assuming one already has basic recovery items like a shovel, tow strap, clevis shackle, etc. correct?
11-16-2013, 01:12 PM
yes, my list was on top of all those needed goodies, BUT, I think adding those to the list would be a good idea because recovery becomes a huge part of winter wheeling.

One thing to ad to the list which is incredibly important (Every off road vehicle NEEDS to have this)... a winch! you can buy them as cheap as $300! its a must have for every vehicle wheeling in the winter..... And another huge must have in winter is a snatch block. We use these countlessly in the winter. A lot of side hills suck vehicles off the trail in the snow and ice, and having a snatch block has been the best solution to recovering these vehicles without sucking in another!

- Winch
- Snatch block
- Chain or tree savors
- Additional tow strap
- Some Clevises (D-rings)

*Note: We take bicycle inter tubes, cut them, and throw a chain through it...that way in the cold weather your chain doesn't stick/freeze and the cold metal doesn't irritate the skin. We also run the chain through old fire hose which makes a nice tree savor as well!

Not sure about a shovel. You'd think that would be priority, but I've never really used them much out wheeling. The reason I keep an axe and a shovel on the back of my truck is for bonfires; digging a pit and cutting up wood. lol. But if you need to work underneath your vehicle, having a shovel would be nice to clear the snow. You could probably ad having a small tarp to the list as well if you want something to lay on underneath ....but again, I think that would be fairly optional and not a necessity out wheeling.
11-16-2013, 05:28 PM
Snow wheeling is a blast but you can end up in a bind really quick.
Some small common sense points:
-Know the area you're in and your surroundings. Walking in waist high snow for miles sucks. Might as well not get lost.
-Always roll with at least one other vehicle. If you're gonna be ballsy and go out on your own, at minimum have one other person riding with you and make a plan. Notify someone of your general whereabouts and when you expect to be back, etc.
-Pack accordingly! I carry a ton when I go out in the non-winter months as it is. In addition to all that, I also carry enough to do 2-3days winter "Camping." It may be a while before anyone can get to you. Be prepared.
-CASH MONEY! Tow trucks don't do offroad recovery and are usually too busy in the winter to deal with you being stuck in the middle of nowhere. In addition, your buddies may not be able to get to you but throw a farmer some beer money and that massive tractor will have you out in no time. Add this to point #1, know where the local farms are.
-Please, If you do get stuck, Use blankets and warm clothes to stay warm. Please DO NOT stay in your stuck truck with it running for heat. Trust the paramedic, It never goes well and I don't need to be declaring any of you guys.

Quick, basic, inventory of my truck...
-Winch, straps, blocks, clevises. Lots of them.
-Tools and spares
-Shovel and axe
-A couple short 2x6" boards
-Tarps
-CB and Cell
-2-3 changes of warm clothes
-Blankets
-"Small" First Aid Kit
-Method to make a fire
-Some food and water.
-Some Sand
11-16-2013, 06:04 PM
Well said.

The beer offer DOES work. Especially when you already have the beer. But with that said, the use of alcohol should be restricted greatly in the cold months too... I have heard some winter incidents revolving alcohol from another paramedic as well.
11-16-2013, 06:38 PM
Hence me writing beer money lol. Money talks, and big tractors work!
11-17-2013, 06:08 AM
Cool list and some good ideas, ive never gone out in more then a foot of snow, maybee that will change this year.
11-17-2013, 10:23 AM
Just remember, air down and DON'T BREAK TRACTION! Excessive throttle and wheel spin will only dig you deeper and get you stuck worse. It's best to throw in the towel early and pull cable than to try and drive out when it comes to snow, especially the type of snow we have up here.
11-17-2013, 11:59 AM
I'd also like to add, keep in mind the weather and temperature drops. You go wheeling on a warmish day (maybe the suns out) where the snow was able to melt accordingly, as soon as that evening light disappears and the temperature drops, everything freezes back over and the trails change significantly. The most issues I have encountered with people struggling is during these time changes. Your group would have gone all day with no one getting stuck, and then bam, every 30 feet becomes a struggle within a matter of an hour or so (dependent on the temperatures).

I am not saying stay off the trails at night, especially since we only get a few hours of daylight in the cold months. I'm just saying, if you don't plan on wheeling all night, then best to wrap it up before the light falls.....or else you might be out there ALL NIGHT.

Just talking about all this fun stuff is getting me excited! lol...winter is just so unpredictable its hard not to get a 'thrill' from it.
11-17-2013, 08:13 PM
How come no one mentioned actual tire chains? Are those good or bad on the trail?

Alvarez Metal Works
Click here to visit me on Youtube
Click here to visit me on Facebook
[Image: forum-sig.png]
Check out Roark Supply @ www.roarksupply.com
For a 10% discount on your entire order use Coupon Code: Metal
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user