Click On The Amazon Banner Below Before You Order Anything From Amazon.
Doing this helps to cover our forum server expenses. This does not effect what you order from Amazon at all. To sum things up, Amazon gives us up to 6% in commission. If you have and ad blocker, click this message to be linked to Amazon. It works the same way. ~Thank you for your support of Upstate4x4.com

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Amazon.com Link - Affiliate Info
11-22-2013, 06:02 AM (This post was last modified: 12-16-2015 06:26 PM by AlvarezMetalWorks.)
Amazon.com Link - Affiliate Info
So most of your have seen the Amazon.com banner ad on the top of the forum. I decided that it would be in my best interest to try and cover the web hosting costs some how. Our member numbers are growing and our traffic is growing even faster. Clearly people are looking and not joining lol.

I signed up for Amazon.com's affiliate program to try and generate income to help cover at least part of those expenses. I'm not sure how successful this will be but there is only one way to find out.

This is how it works. When someone click on that banner they are linked over to Amazon. Just by clicking that link ANYTHING they buy within 24hrs of clicking on the link is given a 4-10% sales commission. Most of the time it's 4-6% but there are a few small exceptions. That's it. It's as simple as coming to the forum and clicking on that banner before you buy anything on Amazon.com and you will be helping to cover the cost of running this website. Just a click. That's it.

That's more than likely not going to be allot of money but anything helps to keep the website hosting fees down so I figured I'd give it a try and see how it works out. How successful it will be will really boil down to how much members order and if they remember to click on the link before they order.

Alvarez Metal Works
Click here to visit me on Youtube
Click here to visit me on Facebook
[Image: forum-sig.png]
Check out Roark Supply @ www.roarksupply.com
For a 10% discount on your entire order use Coupon Code: Metal
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-22-2013, 11:27 AM
RE: Amazon.com Link - Affiliate Info
i think its a good idea, i would be fine with a membership fee, but I'm not sure how everyone else feels....
Find all posts by this user
11-22-2013, 01:14 PM
(11-22-2013 06:02 AM)AlvarezMetalWorks Wrote:  Any thoughts?

This is for the website and not Pathfinder parts right? LOL. Kidding.

Try it and see what happens. I need to order a few things from Amazon anyway, so may as well help out.

(11-22-2013 11:27 AM)yellowx16 Wrote:  i think its a good idea, i would be fine with a membership fee, but I'm not sure how everyone else feels....

I think a membership fee will keep new people from joining.

Too Many Projects . . .
11-22-2013, 02:24 PM
(11-22-2013 01:14 PM)Smithy Wrote:  
(11-22-2013 06:02 AM)AlvarezMetalWorks Wrote:  Any thoughts?

This is for the website and not Pathfinder parts right? LOL. Kidding.

Try it and see what happens. I need to order a few things from Amazon anyway, so may as well help out.

(11-22-2013 11:27 AM)yellowx16 Wrote:  i think its a good idea, i would be fine with a membership fee, but I'm not sure how everyone else feels....

I think a membership fee will keep new people from joining.
Well not a membership fee for joining just the forum, but if we had a club separate from the forum, we could use the membership fee as a way to generate income to fund the site. The forum would still be free. Fingerlakes4x4 does it this way and it seems to work pretty well...
11-22-2013, 07:21 PM
Yeah I want to avoid the memberships. I think there are other methods that can be used to pay for stuff like this. Money coming out of member pockets can lead to problems that we don't need. I've seen this in local racing clubs and it's never good.

As far as the separate club. This is something I want to implement for sure. I have allot of my plate right now so I think I want to wait until shortly after our one year point as a club. This will give us time to grow and see who all is committed to making this grown and develop. At that point I'd like to file for a not for profit, open a bank account, get all the corporate stuff setup (board of directors and corporate positions) and start working toward raising money for events and ultimately the purchase of private land to open an affordable family friendly off road park.

In the mean time I'm just trying to prepare for the growth of the website. After the holidays I plan on upgrading the hosting plan and need to start preparing for a dedicated server. As long as we keep active on the forum and I keep marketing the club online I know it will keep growing. The more active members the faster it will grow. The more useful content the more they will find a need to join the forum.

Anyway that's the grand plan I have in my head and what I'm working toward. I want this to be much bigger than any of those other clubs and focus on promoting the off road community in this state. I'm trying to shoot for the stars Wink

It's not to buy parts for the Pathy lmao. Those come from Alvarez Metal Works and another project I'm working on.

Alvarez Metal Works
11-22-2013, 07:50 PM
(11-22-2013 07:21 PM)AlvarezMetalWorks Wrote:  Yeah I want to avoid the memberships. I think there are other methods that can be used to pay for stuff like this. Money coming out of member pockets can lead to problems that we don't need. I've seen this in local racing clubs and it's never good.

As far as the separate club. This is something I want to implement for sure. I have allot of my plate right now so I think I want to wait until shortly after our one year point as a club. This will give us time to grow and see who all is committed to making this grown and develop. At that point I'd like to file for a not for profit, open a bank account, get all the corporate stuff setup (board of directors and corporate positions) and start working toward raising money for events and ultimately the purchase of private land to open an affordable family friendly off road park.

In the mean time I'm just trying to prepare for the growth of the website. After the holidays I plan on upgrading the hosting plan and need to start preparing for a dedicated server. As long as we keep active on the forum and I keep marketing the club online I know it will keep growing. The more active members the faster it will grow. The more useful content the more they will find a need to join the forum.

Anyway that's the grand plan I have in my head and what I'm working toward. I want this to be much bigger than any of those other clubs and focus on promoting the off road community in this state. I'm trying to shoot for the stars Wink

It's not to buy parts for the Pathy lmao. Those come from Alvarez Metal Works and another project I'm working on.
sounds good! I'd definitely like to have a club separate from the forum as well, I'd be willing to help you set that up if you wanted. hopefully the amazon ad works well too, I'll probably buy some stuff there for the holidays so I will definitely use that link to do so.
11-22-2013, 07:59 PM
I'll need as much help as I can get when that time comes. It's going to be allot of work dealing with all the business crap. But it will be a good thing once it's all setup.

Alvarez Metal Works
11-22-2013, 09:12 PM
I'm willing to help, let me(us) know what you need.

Too Many Projects . . .
11-22-2013, 09:34 PM
Will do.

Alvarez Metal Works
11-23-2013, 12:14 PM
Another idea is to run ads based on traffic. That way you are paid just for having someone view the page, no one has to click anything.

I've seen this on other forums where ads are shown throughout the page to those just browsing. Once they sign up the ads go away. May encourage some lurkers to sign up.

Too Many Projects . . .