Click On The Amazon Banner Below Before You Order Anything From Amazon.
Doing this helps to cover our forum server expenses. This does not effect what you order from Amazon at all. To sum things up, Amazon gives us up to 6% in commission. If you have and ad blocker, click this message to be linked to Amazon. It works the same way. ~Thank you for your support of Upstate4x4.com

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
King Of The Hammers 2014 Recap
02-16-2014, 09:55 AM
King Of The Hammers 2014 Recap
As some of you know, I took a trip out west for KOH this year with a couple guys from FLX4x4. Well, I'm back and all I can say is WOW! At some point in their lives, everyone needs to hit up Johnson Valley.

So...here's a mini recap of my 10 day excursion.
Left Syracuse Friday 1/31 for Rochester to catch a plane to Chicago. Flew from Chicago to Vegas (Mistake IMO), spent one night, picked up an RV and drove 3 hrs to Johnson Valley. The absolute nothing-ness out there is amazing and the amount of people on the lakebed in a pop up town is crazy! Spent the first 2 days walking around Hammertown and waiting for the cars to arrive by transporter. Met a ton of cool people, venders and racers from just about everywhere. Once the cars arrived, we got straight to wheeling. We felt pretty accomplished until we saw the course map and realized just how big Johnson Valley is. The course this year was brutal. The ORD guys gave me gpx files of the course so we ran as much as we could. How these guys run 198 miles in one day is absolutely amazing. We ran Sledgehammer, Jackhammer, Hell's Gate, Devils Slide, Sunbonnet, Chocolate Thunder, Backdoor and some of the dunes and it took most the week. When we weren't out wheeling, we were in Hammertown hanging out. Always something going on. Make sure when you do go down there to A. Leave your wallet home and B. If you forgot A, bring a ton of cash lol. It's pretty comparable to Black Friday for Offroaders. I walked away with dimple dies, tons of parts for the 88', a tube bender and Pre-Ordering an Artec backbone for my 14b.

Out of the 156 cars that qualified, only 32 finished within allotted time. Loren Healy won the big show this year with a time for 8hrs, 3 min and change. Big Ugly Racing cartwheeled their car quite a few times in Qualifying and TOTALED it, then proceeded to throw one crazy party that night. Miller Motorsports was physical first place and time first place for a good portion of the day until they burnt out an orbital. Tom Wayes lead physical first for the first half of the day but it was because he short cut the course by quite a bit.

I managed to get 98 gigs of GoPro footage, Cellphone Video and Pictures. 3/4 of it is in-car GoPro. I'll try to compile it all into a video and figure out a way to post it up. Here's some pics though...

[Image: IMG_1986.jpg]
[Image: IMG_1985.jpg]
[Image: IMG_1834.jpg]
[Image: IMG_1760.jpg]
[Image: IMG_1744.jpg]

[URL=http://s228.photobucket.com/user/mrcbmx423/media/KOH%202014/IMG_1859.jpg.html]
[Image: IMG_1859.jpg]

[Image: IMG_1788.jpg]

[Image: IMG_1893.jpg]
[Image: IMG_1898.jpg]
[Image: IMG_1737.jpg]
[Image: IMG_1733.jpg]
[Image: IMG_1723.jpg]
[Image: IMG_1729.jpg]
[Image: IMG_1724.jpg]

[Image: IMG_1722.jpg]
[Image: IMG_1726.jpg]
[Image: IMG_1736.jpg]
[Image: IMG_1968.jpg]
[Image: IMG_1941.jpg]
[Image: IMG_1885.jpg]
[Image: IMG_1851.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-16-2014, 11:12 AM
RE: King Of The Hammers 2014 Recap
Badass! Cant wait for the videos.

Wish I was there! The '79 Blazer with the ORD wrap is one of my favorites.

Too Many Projects . . .
02-16-2014, 11:53 AM
Def. Jack Badossian and and Stephen Watson are great guys. Jack's K5 is badass. I made it a point to go meet Stephen, who was Co-Dawg for Jack, in person because all the help he and his staff at ORD gave me with my build. Jack happened to be in the pits "clearancing" his front fenders and was nice enough to let me snag the SD card out of his Lowrance so I could upload the course maps to ours. He also gave me all the waypoints and files for the entire OHV park for future trips. Awesome guys and awesome company.
02-16-2014, 12:49 PM
That looks like a ton of fun. I tried to watch some of it on my computer and it looked cool, can't imagine being there. Excited for those videos too.
02-16-2014, 12:49 PM
You have more pictures of the buggies you had transported?
02-16-2014, 01:20 PM
Yessir.
[Image: IMG_1742.jpg]
Smike Abbate's (Single Seater) and Matt Garofalo's (2 seater) buggies
[Image: IMG_1746.jpg]
Charlie Melchner's Rig rode shotgun
[Image: IMG_1743.jpg]
02-16-2014, 01:34 PM
That single seater is dope. Reminds me of an old school class 1 buggy.

Alvarez Metal Works
Click here to visit me on Youtube
Click here to visit me on Facebook
[Image: forum-sig.png]
Check out Roark Supply @ www.roarksupply.com
For a 10% discount on your entire order use Coupon Code: Metal
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-16-2014, 01:45 PM
Thanks for the pics. BTW if you upload all your video files to youtube they have an online editor that works good enough to edit them together.

And Big Ugly is a prime example of why a proper fuel cell is needed. I saw the video of the crash and that tank took a beating and didn't throw fuel all over the damn place.

Alvarez Metal Works
02-18-2014, 07:11 PM
you guys ever going to paint your chassis??? lol
02-18-2014, 09:40 PM
(02-18-2014 07:11 PM)Dmiller Wrote:  you guys ever going to paint your chassis??? lol

lol I was wondering the same thing?

Alvarez Metal Works