Click On The Amazon Banner Below Before You Order Anything From Amazon.
Doing this helps to cover our forum server expenses. This does not effect what you order from Amazon at all. To sum things up, Amazon gives us up to 6% in commission. If you have and ad blocker, click this message to be linked to Amazon. It works the same way. ~Thank you for your support of Upstate4x4.com

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Project Tow Rig - Braun E350 Ambulance
06-23-2014, 10:20 PM (This post was last modified: 06-24-2014 05:28 PM by AlvarezMetalWorks.)
Project Tow Rig - Braun E350 Ambulance
Ok so as many of you already know I worked out a deal with my boss to buy a trade in Ambulance they was headed to scrap. I paid a whooping $800 and paid off most of it with extra work.

Here is what it is:

1997 Ford E350 Cutaway with an old Braun Ambulance box remounted onto it. This box has been remounted a couple time from what I hear so I'm not sure how old it is. It has a 7.3 Powerstroke, 10.25 Sterling rear axle, and all the ambulance bells and whistles like dual alternators dual batteries and what not.

The Plan:

The box will be removed and I'll be building a custom flat bed with a built in sleeper/back seat. I'll be using this as a tow rig to keeping the weight down is pretty important to me. The sleeper/back seat will be as small as I can get away with while still being comfortable. The flat bed will be large enough for me to haul 4'x8' sheets of metal for my shop when I need to. I'd also like it to be large enough to hold a lifted golf cart or a UTV if possible. And that's pretty much it.

This shouldn't be that big of a build but none the less it should be a cool one once I get started.

First things first is to cut up the old box. Take off what I plan on using and giving the rest back to my boss so he can scrap it. Then it will be time to clean up the surface rust on the frame and rebuild the suspension. I want this thing to last along time so I figure rebuilding the suspension and addressing the rust now will save me major head aches later on down the road. I'll also be addressing any and all other issues I run across.

Anyway here are some pictures of it. I just got it home today. It barely fit in my shop. I had to let the air out of the rear tired to clear the door.

Alvarez Metal Works
Click here to visit me on Youtube
Click here to visit me on Facebook
[Image: forum-sig.png]
Check out Roark Supply @ www.roarksupply.com
For a 10% discount on your entire order use Coupon Code: Metal
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-24-2014, 08:21 AM
RE: Project Tow Rig - Braun E350 Ambulance
Looks like a cool project. Will you do a 5th wheel or bumper pull setup for towing?

A passenger side rack for carrying 20' steel may be useful too.

Its too bad the box is going for scrap, seems like it could be made into something neat for someone. Could you shorten it to make the sleeper or will it weigh too much?

Too Many Projects . . .
Find all posts by this user
06-24-2014, 01:16 PM
glad you finally got to bring it home! Excited to see the transformation.
06-24-2014, 05:34 PM
(06-24-2014 08:21 AM)Smithy Wrote:  Will you do a 5th wheel or bumper pull setup for towing?

I'm hoping to set it up for both but we'll see.

(06-24-2014 08:21 AM)Smithy Wrote:  A passenger side rack for carrying 20' steel may be useful too.

Yeah I'll be brain storming on how to do this while still keeping things clean and cool looking lol. I need to be able to haul my metal first and foremost. This way I can have the metal delivered to my work and I won't have to worry about Klein Steel being open.

Alvarez Metal Works
06-25-2014, 03:58 AM
Cool project, I am excited to see this one.

yj project under construction

https://www.youtube.com/user/goldxlt/videos
06-25-2014, 08:13 AM
You got quite a deal on that - even without the box. That engine/trans is worth way more than $800!

Looking forward to seeing this come together.

It's like Red Green says - a good used police car only comes into your life once. Maybe that's true for any emergency vehicle?

Mike
2000 XJ Cherokee - 3.5'' lift / 32'' Tirerecapper Pizza Cutters / Front Locker
06-25-2014, 09:48 AM
Oh boy, the old Menter 4. A lot of people are gonna be pissed you cut it up. It's kinda an infamous rig lol. Those Slant-side Brauns are tanks. What is it with this forum and emergency vehicles, especially ones I've worked in?!?! Can't wait to see how it comes out.

[Image: June-2011-0101-940x360.jpg]
06-25-2014, 06:36 PM
So you actually worked in this truck before? lol That's awesome if so. Looks like Smithy and Myself have some sort of bond with you and your old emergency vehicles lol. And those people are just going to have to get mad. The whole thing was on it's way to the wrecker so they better be happy that I'm going to salvage the cutaway lol. The box would be cool to have but it's just to much weight. Plus I'll have to rebuild all those compartment doors and a bunch of other shit.

Maybe I'll be nice and put a Menter #4 on the truck once it's finished? This way those that are in the know will know it's still alive just in another form lol. Or maybe that would be rubbing salt in the wounds lol. Hell I'm sure many of you will see it at my work once it's finished anyway.

Alvarez Metal Works
06-26-2014, 07:54 AM
Yessir.. On a few occasions I have worked out of 4. Not as a full time rig but I used to frequently mutual aid calls with Oswego County when I was up in Brewerton. 3 of my current co-workers are Menters employees and they were all talking about 4 on Friday. I think you're missing the point...What made that truck infamous was the fact it was a giant pile and you could get away with beating the shit out of it. 4 has seen more airtime than a skateboard at the XGames, taken through places it had no business being and has been generally been ridden hard. It's a tank lol.
06-26-2014, 11:12 AM
Well that would explain some if the "issues" with it, lol.

And if that's the case keeping Menter #4 on the doors seems highly appropriate.

Too Many Projects . . .