Click On The Amazon Banner Below Before You Order Anything From Amazon.
Doing this helps to cover our forum server expenses. This does not effect what you order from Amazon at all. To sum things up, Amazon gives us up to 6% in commission. If you have and ad blocker, click this message to be linked to Amazon. It works the same way. ~Thank you for your support of Upstate4x4.com

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Tire Carrier for my Cherokee
11-24-2014, 06:01 PM
Tire Carrier for my Cherokee
Going to be building a tire carrier for my XJ next month. Ive been looking at spindles and latches and there are a ton of options. Anyone have any recommendations on a spindle and/or latch? I used a smittybilt style latch on my xterra and liked it, it was just fairly expensive.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-25-2014, 10:39 AM
RE: Tire Carrier for my Cherokee
Building it yourself will save a ton of money, that's for sure! I want to do an external tire carrier ... but not dropping that much money on the Jeep!

Mike
2000 XJ Cherokee - 3.5'' lift / 32'' Tirerecapper Pizza Cutters / Front Locker
11-25-2014, 01:15 PM
I can't provide much help on the latch but o e of the guys over at cnyjeep used a trailer hub as their spindle.

yj project under construction

https://www.youtube.com/user/goldxlt/videos
11-25-2014, 05:07 PM
Thanks Pat, i'll look into that. I like the looks of the spindles meant for tire carriers, but dont really want to pay 60-100 dollars for it. For the latch i might just do a trailer hitch pin...i need to think about it more though.
11-26-2014, 05:41 AM
http://www.cnyjeep.org/phpbb3/viewtopic....er#p150612

Here is a link to that build.

yj project under construction

https://www.youtube.com/user/goldxlt/videos
11-26-2014, 07:47 AM
Plans for mine are to use a Dana 44 hub and spindle. Probably overkill, but my tire wheel combo is on the heavy side.

Too Many Projects . . .
11-27-2014, 11:58 PM
Never thought about using a trailer spindle for one. That's a great idea. I've gone back and forth about building a tire carrier for my truck. The factory one is pretty good but I don't like that it mounts to the body. However if I choose to remove it now I'll have to do some repair work to the body and Monstaliner to cover the holes. Plus I plan on caging it and when I do I might just mount it inside the truck. Who knows. But thanks Pat for posting that link. I like that idea.

Alvarez Metal Works
Click here to visit me on Youtube
Click here to visit me on Facebook
[Image: forum-sig.png]
Check out Roark Supply @ www.roarksupply.com
For a 10% discount on your entire order use Coupon Code: Metal
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-28-2014, 04:46 PM
Yea thanks for that link! Not sure what I'm doing yet, but i like the trailer spindle idea. Much cheaper than the expensive tire carrier spindles online.
12-25-2014, 03:31 PM
got some things to start my tire carrier build....[Image: image_zpsb0da150c.jpg]
01-05-2015, 10:16 PM
Got some progress on the tire carrier, should be done tomorrow. My dad got a jd2 tube bender for Xmas so it's made this whole process a lot quicker than on the tire carrier with my xterra. Just need to weld in the other spiderweb gusset and the middle tubes for the tire mount, and some small things like cb and hi lift mounts, and the match. I'll post some more pics tomorrow.
[Image: image_zpsa5e6ced1.jpg]