Click On The Amazon Banner Below Before You Order Anything From Amazon.
Doing this helps to cover our forum server expenses. This does not effect what you order from Amazon at all. To sum things up, Amazon gives us up to 6% in commission. If you have and ad blocker, click this message to be linked to Amazon. It works the same way. ~Thank you for your support of Upstate4x4.com

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Custom Rear Bumper
06-16-2013, 08:33 PM
Custom Rear Bumper
I am starting fabrication on a custom rear tire carrier bumper and have a few questions…Rafael, you probably know more about this than me, so do you know how much a shop would generally charge to make a few bends in 1/4" plate steel? Thats how i plan to make it, 3 bends total, then have supports welded to the back, something like this one
[Image: writeup2-1_zpsab411d65.jpg][Image: 5e0089a7_zpsf1492ecf.jpg]
Any opinions are appreciated!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-16-2013, 08:55 PM
RE: Custom Rear Bumper
I want..

95' Pathfinder - Sashana --- R.I.P.
00' Xterra - Reshma --- 180,000 miles and still kicking!
99' LR Range Rover 4.0 - (yet to be named) --- 98,000

-Rory aka. ReshmaX00
-Queens NY & Albany NY

[Image: ReshmaX00.png]
06-16-2013, 09:20 PM
Ok first off I wouldn't use 1/4" plate. 3/16" will be plenty strong enough and it's much cheaper. 2nd you're going to have to find a shop with a hydraulic brake to get that thick of steel plate bent. Not sure how much they would charge. If I was building it I wouldn't bend it just do to the hassle. I'd cut each section, weld them together, and then use a flap disk to sand/grind the welds smooth. That's how I did mine. However you're going to need those welds to be damn good.

Here is how mine looked after it was all welded up and before the bed liners was put on it.

By the way whoever built the bumper in the photo did a damn good job.

Alvarez Metal Works
Click here to visit me on Youtube
Click here to visit me on Facebook
[Image: forum-sig.png]
Check out Roark Supply @ www.roarksupply.com
For a 10% discount on your entire order use Coupon Code: Metal
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-17-2013, 10:08 AM
well that's why I was originally going to get a shop to bend one solid piece because of my lack of welding skills. and if I do go with the 3/16 as opposed to the 1/4 would I need to weld shackle tabs through the bumper?I talked to the guy that owns a bumper similar to the one I posted except his is 1/4" and he didnt have to weld his tabs through the bumper, he just welded them to the front of it. I know that for the hitch mount it will need to go through, I'd just like to make this bumper not too time consuming. by the way your bumpers look really nice, too bad I can't weld/fabricate like that haha
06-17-2013, 10:38 AM
Put it this way. Most people that build plate steel bumpers use 3/16th plate. When it comes to the mounting tabs for the shackles the more surface area that they are attached to the better. The closer they can be mounted to the bumper mounting brackets the better. However the bumper will more than likely be stronger than it's attaching point. I'd be willing to bet the attaching point will fail way before the shackle mounting tab will even if the tab was welding to the flat surface of the bumper. This will weigh heavily on the quality of weld though. Honestly I'd be really worried about using a HF flux core welder to do a bumper. It may work but I'd say you run a high risk of a weld failing if you get stuck really good and need to put allot of force on the bumper to get you out. Plus you're talking about having the tow hitch on the bumper. That would concern me. You don't want any welds failing while you're towing something. There is quite a bit of force on those locations when you need to use them.

I recommend doing one of two things. Having me or another fab shop build it for you. Or go buy a 200 amp MIG welder. The MIG welder is the more expensive route but you'll have a nice welder for future projects. Plus it seems like you and your dad like building stuff for your trucks.

Alvarez Metal Works
06-17-2013, 01:11 PM
Thanks for the info! we do have a 200 amp mig welder actually we could just never get it work right, I think it's just a matter of adjusting the settings on the welder though. my dad made his own bumper on his truck and they were strog enough to jack up the entire truck by. I'd like to build it myself just for the satisfaction of seeing my own work on my truck, but I'd also like it done right too...I'd just need to compare prices of just materials and doing it myself versus, materials and labor from you.
06-17-2013, 03:27 PM
Totally understand wanting to do it yourself. That's how I got into this. What's going on with your MIG? What's it doing? What make and model is the MIG?

Alvarez Metal Works
06-17-2013, 03:37 PM (This post was last modified: 06-17-2013 04:06 PM by yellowx16.)
ill post some pics of it and the some of the bumpers my dad built with it

Ok so i just talked with my dad about the bumpers, he used a 230 amp century stick welder (the one in the picture) to make both the front tube bumper, sliders and the rear bumper. Here is a plc of the welder and bumpers.[Image: Image3_zps2392569a.jpg][Image: Image1_zps69f5b3b8.jpg]
[Image: image-3_zps74e96104.jpg]So if i did make this on my own you think the best way to do it would be 3/16" steel and cut each piece and weld it together as opposed to getting a pre bent piece?
06-17-2013, 05:00 PM
Yeah a stick welder would do the job. It's not ideal but it will work. And yes that's how I'd build it. Their is another plus side to piecing it together like that. You can easily fix fitment issues. If you bend it you're pretty much stuck with what you have even if a bend is just slightly off. Tack weld everything together before you finish welding everything off. After tacking it all together make sure it fits just right and then finish weld it. You'll need to be careful not to warp the metal. Tack welding every couple inches or so along all joints before finish welding will help a great deal with that. When you weld the pieces together make sure your joints setup properly. They should look like this. These are corner joints. You weld in the V grove. The weld bead needs to be built up enough for you to grind it smooth so it looks seamless when you're done.

[Image: corner-joint-weld-.jpg]

If you set you joints up like this you won't need to weld on the back side of the joint.

Alvarez Metal Works
06-17-2013, 06:42 PM
ahh I see. that may be the way to go for this. I'm going to get a price soon for bending a flat piece for the bumper but if it's ridiculous then I will just weld the pieces together like you do. I like one large bent piece because it's seemless and a bit less work, but then again like you said if one bend is off then I can't reverse it.