Click On The Amazon Banner Below Before You Order Anything From Amazon.
Doing this helps to cover our forum server expenses. This does not effect what you order from Amazon at all. To sum things up, Amazon gives us up to 6% in commission. If you have and ad blocker, click this message to be linked to Amazon. It works the same way. ~Thank you for your support of Upstate4x4.com

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Questions about Dakota lifts
03-20-2015, 06:52 AM
Questions about Dakota lifts
I have a 2000 dakota and im lookin to lift it in the next few months. It has a rack and pinnion setup for steering and tortion bars. Am i limited to how much i can lift it through suspention and if so what are my limits? Also, are there more prefered brands to go with or is a tortion key just a tortion key and a cheaper brand going to be just as good as the expensive ones?

I appreciate your input.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-20-2015, 12:02 PM
RE: Questions about Dakota lifts
Might want to see what size tires your front end can handle and go from there. You could probably fit 33's with a crank of the torsion bars and that's free.

yj project under construction

https://www.youtube.com/user/goldxlt/videos
03-20-2015, 05:21 PM
Your limitations will be with your drive axles (the angle of your CV joints). You will also have to be concerned with ball joint angle as well as tie rod angle.

With that being said I'm 100% sure you can lift it by adjusting your T-bars. You just don't want to do to much. On my Pathy I can get about 2-3 inches. 2 is better than 3 when it comes to preserving the life of those parts mentioned above. Most of the time when people lift IFS they use a diff drop setup. Basically where you lower the mounting location of your diff and suspension to get more lift in your frame and body. These lifts usually drop the T-bar mounts too. This is a much easier on the parts listed above. Not sure if they offer a kit like that for your truck but if they do that might be the smartest way to go depending upon cost.

I still think you should find a 4X4 1ton ram and pull the axles out of it. If you want something more like a prerunner than a rock crawler then I'd consider ditching the 4X4 and having a custom long arm kit made for it.

Alvarez Metal Works
Click here to visit me on Youtube
Click here to visit me on Facebook
[Image: forum-sig.png]
Check out Roark Supply @ www.roarksupply.com
For a 10% discount on your entire order use Coupon Code: Metal
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-20-2015, 05:40 PM
http://www.fourwheeler.com/features/0811...r-durango/

http://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/suspen...-lift-kit/

Just a couple things I found after a quick search.

Alvarez Metal Works
03-20-2015, 05:46 PM
If i was gunna built a legit prerunner i would definitly start with a 2-wheel drive truck over 4x4. It would also be a very intense build because i would do it right and strip it to the frame, starting from scratch basically. But thats a build for a later day.

As for the dakota, the tortion bars are close to maxed already cuz its been leveled. Stock dakotas can fit 31s as an alternate size so im thinkin 2.5 inch lift, slightly offset wheels, and a nice set of 32s. I would even consider 33s if someone can guaruntee it be rub free on only a couple inches of lift.
03-20-2015, 05:51 PM
So after some reading it looks like you might be fucked worse than us Nissan owners lol.

Custom SAS or Custom long travel seems to be your only options still on the market.

Alvarez Metal Works
03-20-2015, 08:59 PM (This post was last modified: 03-20-2015 09:21 PM by Smithy.)
(03-20-2015 05:46 PM)Babco Wrote:  I would even consider 33s if someone can guaruntee it be rub free on only a couple inches of lift.

I have a sawzall . . .

Big Grin

Too Many Projects . . .
03-21-2015, 03:09 AM
(03-20-2015 08:59 PM)Smithy Wrote:  
(03-20-2015 05:46 PM)Babco Wrote:  I would even consider 33s if someone can guaruntee it be rub free on only a couple inches of lift.

I have a sawzall . . .

Big Grin

And i have a payment...

Need to keep it relatively simple for now.
03-21-2015, 07:29 AM
My brother use to do pretty with his dakota on 31's. Might want to put the money in a locker or build some skid plates. You can buy a body lift to clear larger tires but I my opinion, it would be better to trim fenders.

yj project under construction

https://www.youtube.com/user/goldxlt/videos
03-21-2015, 09:59 AM
I agree with Pat

Alvarez Metal Works