Click On The Amazon Banner Below Before You Order Anything From Amazon.
Doing this helps to cover our forum server expenses. This does not effect what you order from Amazon at all. To sum things up, Amazon gives us up to 6% in commission. If you have and ad blocker, click this message to be linked to Amazon. It works the same way. ~Thank you for your support of Upstate4x4.com

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Let's Talk About Supporting Clubs
05-06-2015, 09:05 PM
Let's Talk About Supporting Clubs
As some of you already know. Upstate4x4 has been in talks with Twisted axles as well as others about joining us here on the forum. What we're trying to do is create an online home that can be run and operated by these clubs. We're trying to create one big umbrella for the smaller clubs all over this state to come together and network.

Being from the west coast where off roading is as common as pooping, I find it very hard to accept the lack of support for the off road community in this state. We need to start working together if we are to try and make big movements for the sport that we all love.

I expect some new members over the next month as a result of these talks. If you guys have any questions, comments, or concerns please let's talk about it here. If you are having issues with the website and you need help figuring it out post those questions here.

Alvarez Metal Works
Click here to visit me on Youtube
Click here to visit me on Facebook
[Image: forum-sig.png]
Check out Roark Supply @ www.roarksupply.com
For a 10% discount on your entire order use Coupon Code: Metal
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-07-2015, 12:09 AM
RE: Let's Talk About Supporting Clubs
Giving different clubs a central location to discuss issues and share information (and sweet pics and vids!) seems like a great way to get the offroad community to maximize our influence while still maintaining each clubs sovereignty and individuality. It will also give new offroaders a place to see what's out there for clubs and what might fit them best.
I hope everyone takes a minute to chime in with their thoughts and ideas. Remind other members to sign up and join the discussion. It's a nice way to keep up on what's going on. If the whole club got in the habit of popping on the site a couple times a week it would let us hash stuff out in advance of the meetings giving us more time to B.S. and stuff our faces!
We all know New York is a tough environment for offroad clubs. This is a good step towards improving the future by working together and promoting responsible offroading. Thanks to Rafael for the time and effort and for the great site!

Scott Buszak
Find all posts by this user
05-07-2015, 08:49 AM
After the TA meeting last night I think I may have found a solution that would solve TA's and other non Upstate clubs representation issues. My proposed set up would be that the external clubs (we'll use Twisted Axles as an example) would retain their current website interface/main pages and such. When the "Forum" link is clicked it would take you to another page that would display that "Twisted Axles Forum is hosted by Upstate 4X4".

Then there would be two links that you could choose:

1) Continue on to the main Upstate4x4 site.

Then the tricky one that should be doable with some carefully writing search scripts

2) View Twisted Axles member posts. The posts displayed would only be topics that a TA member started, no comment posts.

That way you could differentiate between clubs, and only view what your club is doing if the site gets too busy in the future. Upstate would retain all the information so you could jump to the main page at any time and view it all.

Each club would also retain a members only section as Rafael already has set up.

This way TA is hosted by Upstate and not under an umbrella of another club.

I think this is doable. What do you guys think?
05-07-2015, 11:18 AM
I think that is similar to the way Rafael wants to set things up. Upstate 4x4 would be a host site or portal to individual club pages. Maybe the term umbrella is a poor example?

Too Many Projects . . .
05-07-2015, 12:06 PM
I think what Tacowillys posted is exactly what Rafael is trying to merge for. "Umbrella" is an easy way to describe multiple clubs participating in one message board, or using the resources of one message board; there wouldn't be any legal merges, etc.

IE - Twisted axles just uses a portion of the Upstate 4x4 forum as a means of communication for their internal communications (instead of email chains, for examples) and many wheelers and web-wheelers can be brought together on some of the common forums.

I like the idea of getting a lot of smaller groups to have open discussion on one site. Ultimately, I think that is the goal.

For me, having stuff posted on a forum - be it the public upstate4x4 forum or a private Twisted Axles forum within upstate4x4.com - is a lot more useful. I will forget event dates, etc that we talk about at a meeting. If it's on a forum, I can look it up a lot easier.

Mike
2000 XJ Cherokee - 3.5'' lift / 32'' Tirerecapper Pizza Cutters / Front Locker
05-07-2015, 04:32 PM
That's basically what I'm saying. We are just using different words to explain the same basic concept. What these clubs need to understand is they get to dictate how this goes. If you want your club to have it's own website and link to our forum in anyway shape or form. That's fine. Let's do it.

If another club wants to point their domain at Upstate4x4.com rather than hosting their own website. That's fine we can do that with that specific club. Again this can and more than likely will be a different setup with each individual club. How each club chooses to set things up will not effect the other clubs at all. The point is to get as many clubs as possible on the forum so that we can move forward with building this scene and trying to do something bigger than what has been going on for years around here.

I honestly think all this talk about legality, identity, and how this will all work is something that is not that big of a deal. If the clubs decide they want to be apart of this then we can move forward with hammering our all those issues as separate steps in the process. We can sit here and talk about a bunch of what ifs and possibilities until we all throw are hands in the air and say, "I have better things to do" or we can say yes to the idea and then work out each issues one at a time.

Stage one: "Yes we want to do this."
Stage two: "Let's figure out how we want things setup for our club when it comes to our relationship with Upstate4x4.com."
Stage three: "Let's figure out all the potential legal issues and tie up any loose ends."
Stage four: ......

This costs nothing other than commitment to use the forum and work toward something bigger. There is not contracts binding anyone to anything. If things start going bad your club can back out if you so choose. There is not real risk here.

I had talked about Upstate becoming a Corporation run by the clubs. This could be restructured based on what the clubs want. Maybe the clubs want to leave it the way it sits where the upstate admins run the site as a completely separate entity? That's all fine too. Again these details can all be worked out after we get a commitment from a club. With Twist Axles being the first "club" approached you guys have a great opportunity to help layout the ground work for how this continues to grow as we approach other clubs. Twisted will be able to say, "we like this but we'd like to consider changing that." All that is fine. Let's work it out. Say yes to the idea and then let's move forward with how all this works out. We can not over load ourselves with a tone of issues before we even say yes to the idea.

One step at a time.

Alvarez Metal Works
05-19-2015, 08:21 PM
Is this discussion over? No other thoughts or questions? I really hoped more Twisted axle members would be chiming in. Please encourage members to come talk about this if they have questions.

Alvarez Metal Works
05-21-2015, 11:44 AM (This post was last modified: 05-21-2015 12:43 PM by Smithy.)
I hope we can discuss some of the issues brought up at the last meeting. With the goal being to answer any questions, and iron out the details before next months meeting.

And to restate: Upstate would have no control whatsoever over any club, group, or entity. Each club is free to operate as the see fit.

Too Many Projects . . .
05-21-2015, 01:13 PM
I'm hoping we can talk it over some more at the Ronald McDonald House dinner. I was hoping more people would sign up so we could hash out the questions here ahead of time. If we can take ten minutes or so before or after the dinner we can find out what concerns remain. If we are not incurring any legal or financial burdens and have a disclaimer stating "this is a meeting place for local clubs to communicate and exchange information. The views and actions of each club are not necessarily representative of the other clubs using this site" we can see what other concerns there are. It also might help to assure everyone if they know we can separate at any time and that all pics, videos, and build threads on the members only site will remain the property of the Twisted Axles membership in the event of a separation or dissolution. Hope to see everyone at the dinner.
05-24-2015, 09:59 PM
you might want to join http://forum.nea4wd.org/ also

a weird attitude I got there, but nonetheless I'm there[/i]

ExpeditionNorth.com Its not about the destination, its the journey.
2004 GMC Yukon & 1966 Stevens M416 trailer