Click On The Amazon Banner Below Before You Order Anything From Amazon.
Doing this helps to cover our forum server expenses. This does not effect what you order from Amazon at all. To sum things up, Amazon gives us up to 6% in commission. If you have and ad blocker, click this message to be linked to Amazon. It works the same way. ~Thank you for your support of Upstate4x4.com

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Visually Identify Dana 44 Carriers (carrier break)
02-23-2016, 08:04 PM
Visually Identify Dana 44 Carriers (carrier break)
There are two different carriers on a Dana 44. The carrier break on a Dana 44 is 3.73 down and 3.92 up. So if you're looking at a dana 44 open carrier how do you know what one it is? Here is a simple way without having to do a bunch of research.

The carrier on the left is a 3.92 and up. The carrier on the right is a 3.73 and down.

The difference is the rings gear mounting flange. The 3.92 and up flange is about a 1/4" closer to the center of the carrier than the 3.73 and down carrier. If you don't have the both of them sitting right in front you'll want to look at the raised lip that the ring gear uses to center it's self on the mounting flange. If you look at the photo, the 3.92 and up is about half the size. This is a good visual reference to use.

The reason I'm pointing this out is because I payed for a a 3.92 and up carrier and I was sent a 3.73 and down carrier. If I didn't do some searching on the net I wouldn't have found out this was a problem until I went to go install my gears. So I'm posting the information here just for reference.

Alvarez Metal Works
Click here to visit me on Youtube
Click here to visit me on Facebook
[Image: forum-sig.png]
Check out Roark Supply @ www.roarksupply.com
For a 10% discount on your entire order use Coupon Code: Metal
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-24-2016, 08:33 AM
RE: Visually Identify Dana 44 Carriers (carrier break)
Yessir, its something to look out for.

Standing up like you have shown, a 3.73 & down carrier will measure about 2" (2.090") from the table to the ring gear mounting surface.

A 3.92 & up will be just over 2⅜" (2.410").

Its a quick way to check with a tape measure when out shopping for used parts.

Too Many Projects . . .
Find all posts by this user
02-26-2016, 12:47 PM
This reminds me that I need to snag a 3.73+ carrier for my dana 30 from the junkyard.

Mike
2000 XJ Cherokee - 3.5'' lift / 32'' Tirerecapper Pizza Cutters / Front Locker
02-26-2016, 01:11 PM
Dana 30:

3.54 & down is 1.800"
3.73 & up is 1.938"

Or you can run "thick" gears on your carrier. Meaning the ring gear is thicker than normal to account for the extra space.

Too Many Projects . . .
02-26-2016, 01:14 PM
(02-26-2016 01:11 PM)Smithy Wrote:  Or you can run "thick" gears on your carrier. Meaning the ring gear is thicker than normal to account for the extra space.

This is what I was just about to post. I needed an open carrier for a lunch box locker. I'm cutting costs to make sure I get this done in time. The carrier in the D44 I have has a factory limit slip in it. You can't put a lunch box locket in those carriers.

Alvarez Metal Works
02-26-2016, 02:31 PM
I didn't realize anyone made thick gears for a dana 30.

The odds of me ever regearing this thing are between slim and none anyway. But, hey, if I have the carrier .... maybe some day!

Mike
02-26-2016, 02:35 PM
Correct, they will only fit in an open carrier. You can shim a limited slip to act more like a spool, which is fine for the street, mud, or trails. But it wont live long in the rocks. Another low dollar option is to weld the spiders, great for rocks or the trail, but takes some getting used to on the street.

Too Many Projects . . .
02-26-2016, 02:42 PM
(02-26-2016 01:14 PM)AlvarezMetalWorks Wrote:  
(02-26-2016 01:11 PM)Smithy Wrote:  Or you can run "thick" gears on your carrier. Meaning the ring gear is thicker than normal to account for the extra space.

This is what I was just about to post. I needed an open carrier for a lunch box locker. I'm cutting costs to make sure I get this done in time. The carrier in the D44 I have has a factory limit slip in it. You can't put a lunch box locket in those carriers.

Are you going to lock the rear differential too or just go for front?

Mike
02-26-2016, 04:54 PM
Matt tightened up my limited slip last year and it was great for half the wheeling season then it was toast. I know when we open it up to install the spool the clutches are going to be shot.
02-26-2016, 05:29 PM
(02-26-2016 02:42 PM)Miller88 Wrote:  Are you going to lock the rear differential too or just go for front?

Both. I have an ARB for the rear.

Alvarez Metal Works