Click On The Amazon Banner Below Before You Order Anything From Amazon.
Doing this helps to cover our forum server expenses. This does not effect what you order from Amazon at all. To sum things up, Amazon gives us up to 6% in commission. If you have and ad blocker, click this message to be linked to Amazon. It works the same way. ~Thank you for your support of Upstate4x4.com

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
How do I put a winch on this bumper?
05-03-2016, 10:45 AM
How do I put a winch on this bumper?
I think it is finally time to put a winch on the cherokee. I'm not sure what I need to do so, however.

I am going to go with the Harbor Freight 12K winch or the 9K winch from them - not sure yet. Would prefer 12K.

This is the bumper [Image: qjpNUtH.jpg] It is 3/16'' thick and tied in to the unibody.

The wiring bits I understand. I'm just not sure what is needed to put thsi on the Jeep.

Mike
2000 XJ Cherokee - 3.5'' lift / 32'' Tirerecapper Pizza Cutters / Front Locker
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-03-2016, 12:04 PM
RE: How do I put a winch on this bumper?
Big a$$ bolts.

But really, is there a mounting plate there already with the holes pre-drilled?

In my experience, the off-road bumpers are usually designed around the winch mounting plate so if this one wasn't then the first thing you're going to want to do is add some reinforcement plating to better tie it in and then drill holes for some grade 8 (or higher) hardware. I believe in the manual for my winch it suggested a 1/4" thick mounting plate at minimum.
05-03-2016, 01:47 PM
The center sure looks like it was meant for a winch. I'd look up your bumper and see if it just needs to be drilled or if you need to add a reinforcing plate. If in doubt, add it, no such thing as too strong! Add a box of grade 8 bolts and a big ass drill and get to it! Glad your adding a winch, going to be a gnarly summer!
05-03-2016, 02:49 PM
It was a homemade bumper.

But if the bumper was strong enough (it's pretty beefy and there is gusseting inside IIRC), I would be able to just bolt the winch directly to the bumper?

I'm assuming I would have to mount it in such a way that the roller fairlead would hang off the front?

Mike
05-03-2016, 04:15 PM
drill it and bolt it. Your bumper is strong enough.

Alvarez Metal Works
Click here to visit me on Youtube
Click here to visit me on Facebook
[Image: forum-sig.png]
Check out Roark Supply @ www.roarksupply.com
For a 10% discount on your entire order use Coupon Code: Metal
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-03-2016, 07:26 PM
This probably wont help, but I picked up the 12k version, and the owners manual does not specify a thickness for the mounting plate.

Too Many Projects . . .
05-03-2016, 08:30 PM
My 8274 winch mounted to a 1/4" plate bolted to my frame bent a decent amount after much use. It's around 28" span between bolts.
Your bumper is pretty butch. Your more likely to rip it out of the unibody than mess it up.
05-04-2016, 08:13 AM
Conveniently, I just got an ad that it is on sale! So I will be picking one up today, hopefully!

While I won't need a winch plate, it looks like I will need a way to mount the fairlead.

Mike
05-04-2016, 09:08 PM
(05-04-2016 08:13 AM)Miller88 Wrote:  Conveniently, I just got an ad that it is on sale! So I will be picking one up today, hopefully!

While I won't need a winch plate, it looks like I will need a way to mount the fairlead.

On my green 4 runner I drilled the fairlead so I could bolt it down 90deg from the standard location.I haven't had any problems with it mounted that way .
05-05-2016, 09:58 AM
So drill the bottom and mount it to the bumper that way?

Mike