Click On The Amazon Banner Below Before You Order Anything From Amazon.
Doing this helps to cover our forum server expenses. This does not effect what you order from Amazon at all. To sum things up, Amazon gives us up to 6% in commission. If you have and ad blocker, click this message to be linked to Amazon. It works the same way. ~Thank you for your support of Upstate4x4.com

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Sooo, what's a "nasty bypass"?
08-17-2016, 11:56 PM
Sooo, what's a "nasty bypass"?
I'm glad you asked! When working on my trails I had to come up with a marking system that worked for me and was comprehensible to the world at large. This is what I came up with;

YELLOW----------------------------basic trail marker
YELLOW bracketed w/GREEN-----center of trail fork
BLUE-------------------------------bypass for difficult obstacle
BLUE bracketed w/ORANGE------nasty bypass-short loop w/challenging obstacles
RED--------------------------------stop don't enter
ORANGE---------------------------cut/remove

I was working on the trails today and testing out some of the obstacles I modified/built last weekend with the excavator and snapped a couple pictures. They aren't action shots because I was solo. The daytime ones show the entrance to the aforementioned "nasty bypass". This one is only about 150 feet long but has an uphill double boulder obstacle, a nasty off camber bit, and a approach/departure angle tester (pictured). I found a couple small pieces of Andy Roz's Jeep there when I got out to take the pictures! The darker pics are from the new rock section on the back 40 trail. I was at street pressure, short shift today. It was awesome! I had to stand on the passenger door to climb out then use my rollcage like monkey bars to get back in after the pics! I'll have someone get some live daytime shots this weekend but that section is hella fun!
                [attachment=1099]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-18-2016, 11:50 AM
RE: Sooo, what's a "nasty bypass"?
(08-17-2016 11:56 PM)BlueCrawler Wrote:  I'm glad you asked! When working on my trails I had to come up with a marking system that worked for me and was comprehensible to the world at large. This is what I came up with;

I was working on the trails today and testing out some of the obstacles I modified/built last weekend with the excavator and snapped a couple pictures. They aren't action shots because I was solo. The daytime ones show the entrance to the aforementioned "nasty bypass". This one is only about 150 feet long but has an uphill double boulder obstacle, a nasty off camber bit, and a approach/departure angle tester (pictured). I found a couple small pieces of Andy Roz's Jeep there when I got out to take the pictures! The darker pics are from the new rock section on the back 40 trail. I was at street pressure, short shift today. It was awesome! I had to stand on the passenger door to climb out then use my rollcage like monkey bars to get back in after the pics! I'll have someone get some live daytime shots this weekend but that section is hella fun!

Your land, your rules...but why not stick to the trail marking scheme used by multiple other off-road parks where trails (and trail sections/bypasses) are marked according to difficulty just like ski trails? Green = Easy (stock friendly, probably don't have any/many of these on your land based on previous posted pics and posts) Blue = Intermediate Black = difficult Red = "body damage imminent".

The best way to legitimize something and make it easy for newbies to not get in over their heads is to have unified standards and guidelines.

Looks like you've got some pretty gnarly trails up there. Gotta be fun!
08-18-2016, 01:29 PM
My jeep is the gift that keeps giving. She did completely Die last time and Andrew towed me out. The o2 sensor shorted and welded itself to the Cat Converter. Hopefully I will have the 35s on and mounted tonight or tomorrow. Saturday is MVMC so if your there Sunday let me know.
08-18-2016, 03:24 PM
(08-18-2016 11:50 AM)getz411 Wrote:  
(08-17-2016 11:56 PM)BlueCrawler Wrote:  I'm glad you asked! When working on my trails I had to come up with a marking system that worked for me and was comprehensible to the world at large. This is what I came up with;

Your land, your rules...but why not stick to the trail marking scheme used by multiple other off-road parks where trails (and trail sections/bypasses) are marked according to difficulty just like ski trails? Green = Easy (stock friendly, probably don't have any/many of these on your land based on previous posted pics and posts) Blue = Intermediate Black = difficult Red = "body damage imminent".

The best way to legitimize something and make it easy for newbies to not get in over their heads is to have unified standards and guidelines.

Looks like you've got some pretty gnarly trails up there. Gotta be fun!

Wouldn't work for my trails because every trail contains some green/blue/black and some have red. Also I've never been one to do anything in the "normal way"! The best way to describe it is to say most of the trails are green/blue with very defined and by-passable black/red sections. My goal was to be able to have mixed group wheel together without hardcore wheelers getting bored or more stock wheelers destroying their rides. Sometimes when working on a trail I see something gnarly that I want to include but that isn't for everyone and that's where the "nasty bypass" idea came from, kind of like very short red sections. I'm very close to being ready to host a ride, a little finishing work on the existing trails and one more long easier trail to cut (well, easy until you get to the end then all bets are off!) then it should be ready. I'll post it up here when I have a date and maybe you can swing up and let me know what you think. Hopefully you'll find it to be a pretty functional easy to follow system.

(08-18-2016 01:29 PM)Burban Wrote:  My jeep is the gift that keeps giving. She did completely Die last time and Andrew towed me out. The o2 sensor shorted and welded itself to the Cat Converter. Hopefully I will have the 35s on and mounted tonight or tomorrow. Saturday is MVMC so if your there Sunday let me know.

Should be there Sunday if the weather is decent. Saturday I have to visit my Aunt in the nursing home and attend a funeral in the afternoon. Check in with me Saturday or call the cell and stop up Sunday if you like. Going to cut and clear the last section of the rock pile trail and mark some of the new one if I have time. Going to rent a bigger excavator in a couple weeks if I can swing it.
08-18-2016, 04:23 PM
Funerals suck sorry. There was a Huge Cat for sale in Brewerton for 30,000. Not sure year or size but I think its gone now. Missed you at Jays last weekend. I kept up good until the hurricane hit us.
08-18-2016, 05:32 PM
(08-18-2016 04:23 PM)Burban Wrote:  Funerals suck sorry. There was a Huge Cat for sale in Brewerton for 30,000. Not sure year or size but I think its gone now. Missed you at Jays last weekend. I kept up good until the hurricane hit us.

Going to have to stick with renting this year due to budget considerations. Hated missing Jay's but my arthritis went berserk, felt like someone was popping my shoulder out of socket with a crowbar while said shoulder was on fire! Borrowed Jay's trailer and had the Jeep all loaded (trailer was a little small) the night before. Enjoyed the video of Jay in the ravine!

08-18-2016, 09:22 PM
I so wish I would have seen this pic 4 hours earlier. I picked up a set of 35s yesterday for $60 (tells you how good) and some crazy offset rims from Nick. The offset we mounted a different set so I have room between the fenders. I need to make the wood pyramid to get over the fenders. That's awesome.
08-18-2016, 09:32 PM
(08-17-2016 11:56 PM)BlueCrawler Wrote:  YELLOW----------------------------basic trail marker

Just making sure I understand this system correctly.

Quote:YELLOW----------------------------basic trail marker
Is this stock friendly?

Quote:YELLOW bracketed w/GREEN-----center of trail fork
I have no idea what this means lol.

Quote:BLUE-------------------------------bypass for difficult obstacle
Does this mean this is a bypass to avoid the difficult obstacle or this is a bypass the leads toward the difficult obstacle?

Quote:BLUE bracketed w/ORANGE------nasty bypass-short loop w/challenging obstacles
Basically the same question as above. Is this to avoid the nasty stuff or does this take you off the easy stuff and into the nasty stuff?

As far as a unified marker system goes... I've never seen such a thing. Everyone has a different interpretation to what is what even if they do use the same system. You should never enter a trail assuming you can make it based off a marker system. Back in AZ there are many different rating systems to describe the same trails. Here is one of those systems. It's from a book titled, "Arizona Backroads & 4-Wheel Drive Trails".

Alvarez Metal Works
Click here to visit me on Youtube
Click here to visit me on Facebook
[Image: forum-sig.png]
Check out Roark Supply @ www.roarksupply.com
For a 10% discount on your entire order use Coupon Code: Metal
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-18-2016, 09:53 PM
Universal markers used at farm.
Extreme .tracks stop mid trail
Hard .parts of rig next to trail
Medium. Significant bark removed from trees
Easy .light paint marks on trees tail light lens on ground
Lol,looks like you've been busy
08-18-2016, 09:57 PM
(08-18-2016 09:53 PM)cuzinjay Wrote:  Universal markers used at farm.
Extreme .tracks stop mid trail
Hard .parts of rig next to trail
Medium. Significant bark removed from trees
Easy .light paint marks on trees tail light lens on ground
Lol,looks like you've been busy

lol Big Grin

Alvarez Metal Works
Click here to visit me on Youtube
Click here to visit me on Facebook
[Image: forum-sig.png]
Check out Roark Supply @ www.roarksupply.com
For a 10% discount on your entire order use Coupon Code: Metal