Click On The Amazon Banner Below Before You Order Anything From Amazon.
Doing this helps to cover our forum server expenses. This does not effect what you order from Amazon at all. To sum things up, Amazon gives us up to 6% in commission. If you have and ad blocker, click this message to be linked to Amazon. It works the same way. ~Thank you for your support of Upstate4x4.com

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Armor/skid recommendations? Jeep TJ 4 cyl
08-30-2016, 06:55 AM
Armor/skid recommendations? Jeep TJ 4 cyl
I'm looking for some armor recommendations. It's unlikely I'll ever lift more than 2", or run anything larger than 32's.

On my last TJ, I had a Engine-trans skid plate (shown below). I was happy with it, but it's been 10 years since I shopped for this stuff.

I'll also be adding some rocker protection, but the engine-trans should come first. Especially with the 29" tires I currently have.

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-30-2016, 08:11 AM
RE: Armor/skid recommendations? Jeep TJ 4 cyl
I would highly recommend a gas tank skid as well.. Last thing you want is ur plastic tank dropping on a rock and spilling it's contents.
I had a Warn gas tank skid for my tj and that thing was really beefy and nice. Idk how much it was new, I got it off of the other tj I got to part out.
But you can never go wrong with skids,its always money well spent

Dan
1998 ZJ limited 4.5" lift 32s, lots of stuff
08-30-2016, 05:14 PM
unfortunately I don't have much in the line of knowledge for TJs but I know I would be shopping for the lightest products I could find, maybe something aluminum?

yj project under construction

https://www.youtube.com/user/goldxlt/videos
09-01-2016, 01:23 PM
I'm focused on the Skid Row (shown above), and an Under Cover Fab aluminum one.

http://www.undercoverfab.com/aluminum-en...late-.html

Either will be fine for skid protection (for the type of wheeling I'm likely to do), so it comes down to:

- Which is better for getting through mud (if there's any difference at all)
- How does aluminum like CNY salt? I will be using this all winter, but not as a DD. I expect aluminum can have corrosion issues, once it starts getting scars.
- If I were to do a 1" BL (likely) or tummy-tuck (unlikely), would I regret one choice over the other?

Any insight, pics, or advice on the subject is welcome.

I find the more general sites talk more about rock protection than anything. We're not out west. A big rock isn't our only concern. I'm definitely more likely to end up stuck in mud, than to be turtled on some boulder on the side of a mountain. Tongue
09-01-2016, 02:28 PM
I went wheeling with a built tj once that had a full belly skid, and as we went through a huge mud pit his skid sucked all the mud up into it and acted kind of like suction and dragged him down and he got stuck. All the other jeeps and my old ZJ with zero skids went right through. Idk if that was the driver or some other factor, just something I saw.
Skid row stuff is usually high quality and pretty good. I like the idea of aluminum to keep weight down, and it should hold up as long as it's not being bashed off of some stupid rocks down at Rausch. You don't really have to worry about aluminum corrosion too much, except for where aluminum will be touching steel.
I like the 1" BL cause u don't have to really do any other modsto make it work and it makes it easier to spray mud out of places.
II love the ARB diff covers but I like the price of the Solid ones better

Dan
1998 ZJ limited 4.5" lift 32s, lots of stuff
09-01-2016, 04:07 PM
UCF aluminum one is on the way. Maybe it will be on for Twisted Trails (seems unlikely, but it could happen).