Click On The Amazon Banner Below Before You Order Anything From Amazon.
Doing this helps to cover our forum server expenses. This does not effect what you order from Amazon at all. To sum things up, Amazon gives us up to 6% in commission. If you have and ad blocker, click this message to be linked to Amazon. It works the same way. ~Thank you for your support of Upstate4x4.com

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Project Crusher Bait - 99 S10
09-01-2016, 01:13 PM (This post was last modified: 09-01-2016 01:15 PM by Smithy.)
Project Crusher Bait - 99 S10
Yet another project for the list. I recently picked up a 99 Chevy S10 4x4 from a local farm for the low low price of "get that pos out of my front lawn". Sold! Fixed a few flat tires and flat towed it home. No brakes and doesn't run, that made for a fun ride.

Here she is.

The previous owner did a few custom weight reduction mods, and added racing stripes for extra power. I evicted the wildlife that had taken up residence in it, fixed a few chewed wires and got it running. The little 4.3 still has some snot left in it, she does nice smokey burnouts too. Bombed around the yard a little and blew a trans cooler line.

The original plan was to weld the rear diff, throw on a set of muddin tires, have some Liberty style fun, and scrap it when it died. A few days later the wheels started turning and plans changed. It sure would be nice to have a dedicated trail rig that I can hammer on and not have to drive home. . .

Plans are for now to build a budget crawler using some of the crap I have been hoarding:

Run the shaved 14 bolt I built for the Burban in the rear on 63" leafs.

Ford D60 front, full hydro steering, 3 link on Xj coils, basically copy what David did on his blazer.

'04 Chevy 5.3 V8 for power

Some sort of cage

40" ish tires

And have fun with it. I don't plan on making it pretty, just functional.

Too Many Projects . . .
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-01-2016, 02:39 PM
RE: Project Crusher Bait - 99 S10
I think a little liberty fun would have been a lot of fun to start!

So the suburban may just be a tow rig at this point?

Mike
2000 XJ Cherokee - 3.5'' lift / 32'' Tirerecapper Pizza Cutters / Front Locker
09-01-2016, 03:32 PM
Sounds like it's going to be a serious budget crawler! Feel free to stop up Sat. or Sun. for further "pre-build testing".
09-01-2016, 03:34 PM
It will make a great tow/overland rig, but I'm not retiring it from active duty just yet. I still enjoy the challenge of squeezing it down technical Jeep trails, mostly to annoy the Wrangler crowd Big Grin

Too Many Projects . . .
09-01-2016, 05:09 PM
I hear that. They were really pissed off at mine on the foliage run. Wouldn't even know I was there they deleted me from the group picture. Mall Crawlers 4X4 you can try to stop em. Easy disconnect the light bar! hahaha
09-01-2016, 06:31 PM
(09-01-2016 05:09 PM)Burban Wrote:  I hear that. They were really pissed off at mine on the foliage run. Wouldn't even know I was there they deleted me from the group picture. Mall Crawlers 4X4 you can try to stop em. Easy disconnect the light bar! hahaha

I remember that.
There was a guy with a Honda pilot or something, I don't remember, and everyone kept giving him shit too.

Dan
1998 ZJ limited 4.5" lift 32s, lots of stuff
09-01-2016, 07:49 PM
Feel free to stop buy if you need some tube bent for the cage. I only have a 1.75 die set right now though.

This should be fun!

Alvarez Metal Works
Click here to visit me on Youtube
Click here to visit me on Facebook
[Image: forum-sig.png]
Check out Roark Supply @ www.roarksupply.com
For a 10% discount on your entire order use Coupon Code: Metal
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-02-2016, 03:16 AM
Well this exciting, I can not wait ytosee some progress on this!

yj project under construction

https://www.youtube.com/user/goldxlt/videos
09-02-2016, 07:48 AM
(09-01-2016 03:32 PM)BlueCrawler Wrote:  Sounds like it's going to be a serious budget crawler! Feel free to stop up Sat. or Sun. for further "pre-build testing".

By budget I mean lots of recycled and repurposed parts, and homemade goodies. Maybe I'll post up a tally of what everything cost?

Shooting for a 110" wheelbase, 24" belly height. Stretched up front and shortened in the rear.

(09-01-2016 05:09 PM)Burban Wrote:  I hear that. They were really pissed off at mine on the foliage run. Wouldn't even know I was there they deleted me from the group picture. Mall Crawlers 4X4 you can try to stop em. Easy disconnect the light bar! hahaha

You could see a giant shadow, almost like a solar eclipse lol. We need to get the two burbans together for this years tour

(09-01-2016 06:31 PM)Ayreonaut Wrote:  I remember that.
There was a guy with a Honda pilot or something, I don't remember, and everyone kept giving him shit too.

For the most part the burban will go anywhere a jeep will.

(09-01-2016 07:49 PM)AlvarezMetalWorks Wrote:  Feel free to stop buy if you need some tube bent for the cage. I only have a 1.75 die set right now though.

This should be fun!

Looking at the pre bent cage kits for these things, they are all 1.625" tube, 1.75 will be an upgrade. I'm thinking exo, the interior is small enough as is, and all that tube on the outside looks cool too.

(09-02-2016 03:16 AM)Pat_R Wrote:  Well this exciting, I can not wait ytosee some progress on this!

Hopefully soon I'll actually start on it and not just talk about it lol.

Too Many Projects . . .
09-02-2016, 08:06 AM
I have a unibody station wagon designed by Renault.

I understand your frustration.

Mike
2000 XJ Cherokee - 3.5'' lift / 32'' Tirerecapper Pizza Cutters / Front Locker