Click On The Amazon Banner Below Before You Order Anything From Amazon.
Doing this helps to cover our forum server expenses. This does not effect what you order from Amazon at all. To sum things up, Amazon gives us up to 6% in commission. If you have and ad blocker, click this message to be linked to Amazon. It works the same way. ~Thank you for your support of Upstate4x4.com

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Body lift, or no?
09-08-2016, 02:50 PM
Body lift, or no?
I'm considering a 1" BL. Right now I'm stock (TJ). 4 cylinder, with electric fan, so no fan-shroud worries.

I will never go over 33" tires, I'm likely to end up on 31s.

31 with a 2" budget boost was what I had in the past, it worked fine.

I'm adding the rocker protection shown in the pic. That will require me to shave 3/16" off existing body mounts, in 4 spots. I'm thinking...as long as I'm down there....body lift.

I haven't done one before. I've already taken a wrench to most of the body mount bolts. I wanted to be sure they turn before I bother looking into a BL. They all turned without PB Blaster, so I think I'm safe there.

Looking at BL, it seems all I'll need to do is mount the pucks in 11 spots, and install a t-case bracket to relocate the 4wd link. With the electric fan, if I'm reading correctly, I'll need to do nothing with a motor-mount or radiator relocation.

So my question is....any downside to a 1" body lift? I'm not one who thinks BL are ugly (unless they get to about soda-can height!).

.jpg  image.jpg (Size: 25.14 KB / Downloads: 54)

I'm using this article as my guide, skipping the instructions regarding fan shroud, and adding a step to disconnect fuel-filler before jacking the body off the frame.

http://www.4x4xplor.com/bl.html

Any other "gotchas" to a BL?

Also, for a suspension lift, when I get around to one, I expect it would just be coils, shocks, and bump-stops to add 2" over stock.

No sense in doing a budget-boost on this, as the coils are old, so they may as well be replaced.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-08-2016, 03:15 PM
RE: Body lift, or no?
I think 2" suspension lift and 31s are an awesome and cheap way to make your tj very capable. That what I had on my exs/my 99 tj.
Those are similar to the rocker things I'm helping put on my buddy's 06 tj. You are going to have most of the body mounts out anyways so yeah might as well do a 1" BL.
since you don't have to mess with the fan shroud it should be a pretty painless process and I don't think you'll have any issues at all at only 1".
So the point is...
If it was me, I'd do it!

Dan
1998 ZJ limited 4.5" lift 32s, lots of stuff
09-08-2016, 04:28 PM
I put a 1 inch body lift and motor mount lift then you can get rid of that shovel of a skid plate and gain more belly clearance. You will need a sye if you go that route.
09-08-2016, 04:54 PM
Generally a 1" body lift is a good idea with little or no downside. It allows clearance for things you might do later, gives you a little more fender space and is helpful when washing away lots of mud. I have a 1" body lift in my TJ, no issues. You may find after wheeling with folks with similar Jeeps that 33's and a short arm lift will, for a modest investment, allow you to wheel a lot of things that 31's might not work for. What you save in damage to the undercarriage might more than make up for the cost of the lift and tires. Nothing wrong with 31's and not trying to pressure you to go bigger than you want but knowing the trails we wheel as a club I think the 33's would equal a lot more fun and a lot less time winching or waiting to be dragged off logs/rocks/moguls etc...
09-08-2016, 06:36 PM
4 cyls dont like big tires though haha
i have never driven one of those 2.4s, but i have had two with 2.5s and 31s, and even with 4.88 gears and 5 speed i was getting passed by lawn tractors.
on the trails and in town its fine, but i like having power for hills and highways

Dan
1998 ZJ limited 4.5" lift 32s, lots of stuff
09-08-2016, 09:15 PM
I already have to go for 4th gear to get up minor highway hills, like the one at the end of 690 W going to Rt 48. Undecided

It has 4.10 (or 4.11, whatever) gears, and it feels weaker than my 6cylinder did with 3.07 / 31s.

Maybe I won't go bigger than 31. I'm not regearing unless I blow something up (which is how I got to 4.10 on my last Jeep! Tongue )
09-08-2016, 10:55 PM
Didn't notice the 4 cyl. part. Maybe 31" is the way to go and then re-gear if you break something.
09-09-2016, 06:34 AM
I like body lifts because they make it easier to work on your vehicle and you can get the pressure washer between body and frame for better cleaning.
09-09-2016, 11:02 AM
Sounds like I better get shopping for a BL. Those rocker-skids are going to show up, and I'll be mad that I need to wait for the BL!

EDIT: Ordered a Daystar https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001GH5OBG/

I did try ordering via the Upstate4x4 Amazon link, I hope it worked.

[Image: 61m-saNogIL._SL1000_.jpg]