Click On The Amazon Banner Below Before You Order Anything From Amazon.
Doing this helps to cover our forum server expenses. This does not effect what you order from Amazon at all. To sum things up, Amazon gives us up to 6% in commission. If you have and ad blocker, click this message to be linked to Amazon. It works the same way. ~Thank you for your support of Upstate4x4.com

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Low speed Vibrations
09-11-2016, 09:14 PM (This post was last modified: 09-12-2016 12:00 AM by yellowx16.)
Low speed Vibrations
Been getting a pretty significant vibration from about 20mph-5mph in my XJ. Vibration is just when slowing down. Thought the rotors may have been warped, replaced those since they needed it anyways but that didn't solve it. Cleaned the rear drum parts and readjusted them, but no changes. Rotated the tires since the front appeared to be cupped a bit but still getting the vibes. Checked the U-joints on the driveshafts and ball joints but don't see any issues with those. Any other ideas?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-12-2016, 06:47 AM
RE: Low speed Vibrations
Check the steering and suspension too. A loose tie rod, ball joint, wheel bearing etc. . . may cause a vibration while braking. At speed the tires have enough inertia to dampen side to side movement.

If nothing is obvious stop by sometime and we can pinpoint where it is coming from.

Too Many Projects . . .
09-12-2016, 02:01 PM
I can only get a year or maybe 5-7K miles out of wheel bearings. Doesn't matter if I properly torque them (which I do) or buy timkens/cheapies. They just don't hold up to lower backspace and bigger tires.

Can't really tell without looking but that's been my experience.

Mike
2000 XJ Cherokee - 3.5'' lift / 32'' Tirerecapper Pizza Cutters / Front Locker
09-12-2016, 03:22 PM
I always have issues with balanced tires, I'll get driveline shakes at specific speeds that make me think it's something else, then I'll get the tires balanced and it will be fine. If I put enough miles on the tires or run an incorrect pressure or get a new set the problem reappears, at different speeds.

Dan
1998 ZJ limited 4.5" lift 32s, lots of stuff
09-12-2016, 03:42 PM
hmm. Reminds me that I need to balance my tires.

Took the BBs out well over a year ago

Mike
09-12-2016, 06:38 PM
Why did you remove the BBs? And did you use actual BBs, or airsoft BBs?
09-12-2016, 08:52 PM
I used regular BBs. It was fine at speed 45+. I could run 85 and it was smooth. But undriveable between 35 and 45

Mike
09-13-2016, 12:40 AM
since i deal with my commercial accounts and shops everyday, i make a lot of friends and am able to get my tires professionally mounted and aligned and balanced for free.
still, it seems like im getting tire work done all the time

Dan
1998 ZJ limited 4.5" lift 32s, lots of stuff
09-26-2016, 01:55 PM
Had a chance to check some things out again the other day. Doesn't appear to be the ball joints, no top to bottom movement in the wheel. The tie rod ends have seen better days, but not any noticeable side to side movement in the wheel either. I noticed it has a wobbling feel to it when going about 15 mph, and the vibrations are now pretty constant at any speed, but much more noticeable when braking at low speeds.