Click On The Amazon Banner Below Before You Order Anything From Amazon.
Doing this helps to cover our forum server expenses. This does not effect what you order from Amazon at all. To sum things up, Amazon gives us up to 6% in commission. If you have and ad blocker, click this message to be linked to Amazon. It works the same way. ~Thank you for your support of Upstate4x4.com

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Project Cherokamper
01-23-2017, 02:31 PM
Project Cherokamper
I've been working on this for a couple weeks now, but I'm finally at the stage where the project is coming together, so I figured I'd put up a build thread.
OK, so the story begins..
I had a 1998 Cherokee that I bought for 500$ a year ago to use as a winter rat/back up Jeep. My roommate crashed his Lancer back in November, so I let him borrow this Cherokee while it got fixed.
He ran it bone dry out of transmission fluid and killed the Aw4 in it.
So here I am with a now dead Jeep... Scrap is down so I'd only get 100$ or something for it... The body is too shot to be worth swapping a transmission into..
So why not doing something cool and different with it?
THe end goal is to have it cut right in front of the B pillar and rear doors. Then brace and seal up that hole in the front and run an A frame of the uniframe rails to mount a tongue... And turn it into a camping/utility trailer.

Heres how it was when I started. (after me Andy kicked and smashed in the front fenders and doors for fun).
[Image: 20170116_180440_zpsj65djulw.jpg]
First step is pulling the drivetrain out. I already have someone buying the motor for 100$ which will help pay for steel and stuff.
It's a pretty straightforward process, I've done this a few times, but here are some tips.
It's much easier to pull the entire drivetrain with the tranny and t case still attached all at once, instead of separating it all while it's still on the Jeep. Taking the front end and radiator off first makes accessing everything much easier. You can use the nuts off the motor mount bolts to thread on to the head bolts to use as a great place to hook up the cherry picker.
[Image: 20170122_120710_zpstkkyhpfq.jpg]
Next step was stripping the interior... Pretty easy, just screws and rusty bolts for the seats. I took literally everything out, carpet, seatbelts, wiring.
[Image: 20170119_215935_zpsrsropin8.jpg]

And now the fun part.....
A Sawzall and some good blades will make quick work of cutting it in half.
[Image: 20170122_151739_zpsx0x6xefw.jpg]
And this is how it currently looks.
I also took out the gas tank, all the fuel and evap lines, and canister. Right now it is literally an empty back shell sitting on an axle.
Now my reason for stripping it so much, and my one worry building this is..
It is MUCH easier to register a homemade trailer in NY if it is under 1000 pounds. You just go to the weigh station, get a slip, and show that and your reciepts to the DMV and they give you a title and Vin plate there. If it is over 1000... Well the trailer now needs brakes, it becomes more expensive to register it, and it has to be inspected by a DMV inspector who will probably frown upon my redneck half ass Jeep cut in half trailer.
At this point, I am going to put some bracing across the front pillars and use sheet metal to cover the gaping hole. Then sleeve the frame rails up a little bit and build an A frame to mount the tongue. And obviously, wire up all the lights and the four prong connector.
I'll take it to the weigh station like that, maybe with some donut spares, and if it is too heavy, I will pull out the 8.25 rear axle and shocks and all that and put in a trailer axle, and lighten it up any other way to get under that mark. I would really like to keep the 5x4.5 bolt pattern though, so I can run Jeep wheels on it.

Dan
1998 ZJ limited 4.5" lift 32s, lots of stuff
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-23-2017, 03:34 PM
RE: Project Cherokamper
As far as my long term goals for this... I have a few ideas.
One, I would like to paint it white to match my ZJ.
two, put the interior back in and build a flat floor all the way up to front, maybe with storage compartments underneath.
Possibly lift it and put bigger tires on to also match my ZJ.
II'd like to put a roof rack on it for added utility, and it would be cool to find one of those SUV tents that go out the back of the hatch area.
Maybe put in a deep cycle battery or quick disconnect 12v to the towing vehicle,to run dome lights and power windows and a few power outlets.
I just have so many ideas. The main goal of the build is to have a cool little trailer that can serve a dual purpose of hauling stuff and junk around, and being a camper when I go out to the ADKS and Catskills or anywhere else.

Dan
01-23-2017, 03:47 PM
I've always liked these cherokee campers when i've seen them online. Looking forward to seeing this one come together.
01-23-2017, 04:10 PM
(01-23-2017 03:47 PM)yellowx16 Wrote:  I've always liked these cherokee campers when i've seen them online. Looking forward to seeing this one come together.

Thanks!
I'm excited to do it too. You know when I tried to look this up, there are a lot online but there are only a couple of pictures of finished projects, and only one write up where he actually finished it all the way through and even wheeled with it.

Dan
01-23-2017, 07:01 PM
I think you should put an alternator on the pinion yoke to keep a set of deep cycle batteries charged up!

Mike
2000 XJ Cherokee - 3.5'' lift / 32'' Tirerecapper Pizza Cutters / Front Locker
01-23-2017, 08:01 PM
It would be neet to use the front doors in a v-nose configuration and add interior space and aerodynamics.
01-23-2017, 09:09 PM
(01-23-2017 08:01 PM)tacowillys Wrote:  It would be neet to use the front doors in a v-nose configuration and add interior space and aerodynamics.
One of the two completed trailers I have seen had that set up, but unfortunately he didn't have any build info and it seems like it would take a lot of fab work. The other completed build I saw used a rear hatch to seal up the front

(01-23-2017 07:01 PM)Miller88 Wrote:  I think you should put an alternator on the pinion yoke to keep a set of deep cycle batteries charged up!

I could probably rig something up... Put a pulley on there instead of the yoke and run a small belt to the alternator mounted underneath there as well. There's tons of room now that there's no exhaust or gas tank or lines.

Dan
01-24-2017, 10:31 AM
Turn the front half into a BBQ pit

Maybe mounted to the outside of Millers garage

Angel

Keep up the good work

Too Many Projects . . .
01-25-2017, 05:14 PM
New plan the front roof and glass will be taken off for a tow behind chariot race
01-28-2017, 07:26 PM
Cool project Dan, I like the chariot idea!