Click On The Amazon Banner Below Before You Order Anything From Amazon.
Doing this helps to cover our forum server expenses. This does not effect what you order from Amazon at all. To sum things up, Amazon gives us up to 6% in commission. If you have and ad blocker, click this message to be linked to Amazon. It works the same way. ~Thank you for your support of Upstate4x4.com

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
95 YJ
03-15-2017, 09:18 AM
95 YJ
As some of you know by now, I bought a 95 yj wrangler not long ago, for 700$.
Here's the scoop on it
Rusty (needs a patch on the inner frame by fuel filter)
2.5 5 speed np231 t case, 4.88 gears with spartan lockers front and rear. Has around 6.5" of lift or so. Heavy duty steering, aftermarket diff covers, nice custom bumpers front and rear with recovery points, badlands 12000 pound winch. CJ hard top, full doors.

NNeeded a lil love when I got it.
First course of action, the pinion bearing blew apart and the front end had to get rebuilt. Sent it over to Matt (thank you so much for your help) and he's currently working on getting that all together for me.
Secondly, the fan clutch froze up and destroyed the water pump. Luckily he already put a brand new pump on before I bought it, so all I needed to do was put on a new fan clutch and it was all set there. Changed the oil, hooked up a spare cb radio I had around the garage, and I will probably change the transmission oil as it gave me a lil trouble going into first gear pulling into my garage.
Other than the aforementioned frame repair it needs, it should be all set to go!!!!!
Plan is just a cheap and fun low buck wheeler I can beat up. I might put it on the road to drive short distances and possibly drive to close wheeling locations.

[Image: IHkYpfH.jpg]
[Image: UlMcEm3.jpg]
[Image: LUWH0gd.jpg]
[Image: 36XFrVv.jpg]
Axle out by myself in a couple hours. Gotta love leaf springs!
[Image: HJkSpnT.jpg]
Was feeling a little bored and artsy over the weekend while waiting for parts
[Image: 79FCgUU.jpg]
I'm really excited, this is gonna be a fun rig and a fun build. Thank you Pat for all the yj parts you gave me!!!!
I have a set of sliders I am going to try to clean up and mount, a set of tube fenders that need finishing and would look sweet, and I still need to figure out my tire situation.
RRight now it is on good 32s on 16s. But I think they are too small.
I have a set of 3 33's for 16s, and now I have a nice set of 5 offset steel 15s but with bad 31s on them. I'd prefer 35s but I might just have to find two more 33s for 16" rims. Will be selling the doors and probably the top to help fund the project. (won't need those where I am going!)

Dan
1998 ZJ limited 4.5" lift 32s, lots of stuff
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-15-2017, 06:39 PM
RE: 95 YJ
Only minor damage in the D30, it will buff out.

Too Many Projects . . .
03-15-2017, 07:38 PM
Read the post at work but couldn't see the pictures till now. I agree with having a beater for the trails and I think this is the perfect vehicle for it, plus you can have the top off! With the lockers and some 33s, you will be easily holding your own out on the trail with $40k wranglers!

Don't know how much is really worth saving on the vehicle, I think maintaining the mechanical aspect of it and fixing the little issues here and there is perfect idea.

Good luck with the toy!
03-15-2017, 07:52 PM
(03-15-2017 07:38 PM)Dmiller Wrote:  Read the post at work but couldn't see the pictures till now. I agree with having a beater for the trails and I think this is the perfect vehicle for it, plus you can have the top off! With the lockers and some 33s, you will be easily holding your own out on the trail with $40k wranglers!

Don't know how much is really worth saving on the vehicle, I think maintaining the mechanical aspect of it and fixing the little issues here and there is perfect idea.

Good luck with the toy!

Thanks!!!!!
Yes that's my plan, just keep it going mechanically and get the most fun for my buck out of her. I will definitely get the spot in the frame patched but other than that, probably won't touch much on the body.
MY thought process is, I have been planning on moving south to North Carolina around September. I want to keep my ZJ nice as that's what I'm driving down and keeping, probably towing my cherokamper with everything I own. This is will satisfy my wheeling itch (otherwise I know myself too well and end up taking the zj all the time) and when it comes time to move I should easily get what I spent on it back by selling it, or the parts by themselves are worth it.

Dan
03-16-2017, 09:31 AM
https://imgur.com/gallery/qelda
Don't think the transmission oil is supposed to look like this....
The good news is after I filled it up with some fresh pennzoil, it seems to shift into every gear nice and smooth now. Obviously can't drive it yet with no front axle but it feels so much better

Dan
03-17-2017, 08:48 AM
What's the ETA on front axle?

2 weeks to RC!

Mike
2000 XJ Cherokee - 3.5'' lift / 32'' Tirerecapper Pizza Cutters / Front Locker
03-23-2017, 09:18 PM
not a bad looking rig for the price
I hope it all works out for you

ExpeditionNorth.com Its not about the destination, its the journey.
2004 GMC Yukon & 1966 Stevens M416 trailer
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-26-2017, 06:50 AM
Nice buy! Should be a lot of fun.
03-26-2017, 10:48 AM
(03-26-2017 06:50 AM)BlueCrawler Wrote:  Nice buy! Should be a lot of fun.

Thanks!
I can't wait to take it up to your place!

[Image: 20170325_145011_zpsnsmw3unr.jpg]
[Image: 20170325_144954_zpswxquio95.jpg]
Front axle is all in and it moves under its own power!
Drove it around the block for a bit, runs and shifts good, and rides like a rickety old Jeep haha.
Just need to get a spot on the frame patched, and get some bigger tires on it 33s, or, 35s, and it will be all ready.

Dan
04-04-2017, 11:06 AM
Some updates..
Frame is currently getting patched and is almost done, (it's always worse than it looks once you start grinding away)
[Image: 20170329_214213_zps3bqxb7mr.jpg]
[Image: 20170330_210344_zps3zvznxko.jpg]
Right now it's a race to see whether this or the grand will be done first haha....
Made my way over to the junkyard and scored big time. Got a set of sweet yj half doors for about 30$ apiece, one is amazing shape and the other needs minor Rust repair that I already started on. Also got a Glove box lid that will close, a new oil pressure switch and pigtail that will hopefully work and not leak like the one on it now, and a bunch of other goodies.
[Image: 20170402_164910_zpsngsxvsuy.jpg]
Also, as you can barely see in the corner of that picture, I got a set of 35s mounted up and ready to put on the Jeep as well.

Dan